Wednesday, November 13, 2002

I was really crabby when I left work last night. I was mad at Microsoft. I was mad at our patchwork network made out of donated computers. I was mad at myself for wearing a light-weight coat. It was warm when I left for work, but freezing cold now that the sun was down. I pulled out of the parking lot hunched over the steering wheel and cursing myself for not bringing my gloves that morning. As I got to the end of the alley, I stopped next to about 20 guys standing in the dark, all waiting the final fifteen minutes for the shelter to open. Most of them were bent over from the cold, too, with their hands stuffed in their pockets, and their collars pulled up to their chins. Many of them pulled their hands out to wave at me and say, "Good-bye." I suddenly realized how stupid all of my complaints were. When I hit a traffic jam a few minutes later, I turned the radio to an oldies station and sang along with the Doors, CCR and Motown the rest of the way home.

Keep up with me here, "In with the good... out with the bad... in with the good... out with the bad..."

No comments: